Sebastopol is a semi-urban city in Sonoma County located around 50 miles north of San Francisco, between Santa Rosa and Bodega Bay. The city has a population of approximately 7,400 but its businesses also serve the rural West Country’s population of around 50,000.
Sebastopol is known for its dynamic combination of laid-back, semi-rural living and liberal, sophisticated sensibilities. It was named one of the 10 Best Small Towns in 2016 and 2014 by Livability.com, which lauded its friendly vibe, amazing cultural opportunities, natural beauty, and agricultural heritage.
The city is part of the region that produces most of the world’s supply of Gravenstein apple but has recently become an important grape-growing community. Acres of vineyards in Sebastopol supply the region’s winemakers with high-quality fruits.
The city’s ideal location places it just minutes away from the best attractions and economic opportunities in the area, including those found in San Francisco and the Pacific coastline. It provides easy access to public transportation, as well as to US Highway 101 and State Highways 12 and 16.
Real estate in Sebastopol
The housing stock in Sebastopol is highly diverse, ranging from historic Craftsman bungalows to modern homes in recently developed subdivisions. There are plenty of opportunities for farms, vineyards, and orchards, as well as expansive lots with stunning views of rolling green hills, thick redwood growths, streams, and other natural features.
Luxury buyers will find plenty of options in sprawling ranches and stunning estates surrounded by vineyards or apple orchards. Modern golf course homes are also available.
Real estate in Sebastopol tends to cost more than the surrounding communities, but you can find relatively affordable options in the city’s established neighborhoods, as well as in condos and townhomes located near the downtown area.
Schools in Sebastopol
Sebastopol is served by the following school districts:
- West Sonoma County Union High School District
- Sebastopol Union Elementary
- Twin Hills Union Elementary
- Gravenstein Union Elementary
Some of region’s top-rated schools are found in Sebastopol, including:
- Analy High School
- SunRidge Charter School
- Gravenstein Elementary School
- Hillcrest Middle School
Employment in Sebastopol
The agricultural sector is a major source of employment and income for many residents of Sebastopol and the nearby rural communities of West Country. The city’s numerous independent businesses, emerging tech sector, healthcare services, and school districts are also among the top local employers.
Lifestyle in Sebastopol
- Sebastopol’s agricultural heritage defines much of the lifestyle here. Farm-fresh food is abundant and can easily be procured from the local farmer’s market, as well Andy’s Produce Market, considered California’s largest open-air farm produce market. Luther Burbank’s historic 15-acre farm is one of the city’s top attractions.
- The city boasts topnotch restaurants serving farm-to-table cuisine, as well as numerous wineries and craft breweries.
- Sebastopol has a wealth of independent specialty stores selling everything from antiques, furniture, and housewares to soaps, clothing, and cosmetics.
- Sebastopol is a highly health-conscious community. The locals not only eat healthy, but also engage in physical activity during their free time. The city has multiple parks, public ball parks and tennis courts, a public golf course, playgrounds, and a public swimming pool.
- Sebastopol has a dynamic arts and culture scene. The Sebastopol Center for the Arts sponsors two studio tours each year and hosts various concerts and musical performances. The West Country Museum showcases the city’s history, while Antique Row along Highway 116 features hundreds of antique dealers.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.