Rohnert Park is one of the earliest planned communities in the United States. Developed in the 1950s, it incorporated as a city of Sonoma County in 1962. From its inception to the present, Rohnert Park has remained a highly family-friendly community and a great place to live and work.
Nestled between Santa Rosa and Petaluma, Rohnert Park is ideally located in central Sonoma County, just 45 miles from San Francisco and around 25 miles from the Pacific coast. It’s accessible via US Highway 101 and is considered the gateway city to northern California’s wine country.
Each of the neighborhoods in Rohnert Park was developed around a park and an elementary school, and walkways and bike paths connect the city’s neighborhoods and tree-lined streets. The community features fantastic amenities and attractions for all ages, and its great location gives residents easy access to the job and recreation opportunities in San Francisco, Santa Rosa, Petaluma, and other nearby communities.
Real estate in Rohnert Park
Single-family homes are predominant in the Rohnert Park real estate market, but there’s also a good number of multi-family properties. While most homes here were built from the 1950s to the 1990s, there are also plenty of newer homes built in the 2000s and later.
The median home price in Rohnert Park is higher than the national median but lower than the entire Santa Rosa metropolitan area – one reason Rohnert Park is highly sought-after by home buyers in the area. The housing stock comes in a wide range of sizes and prices, from one or two-bedroom properties that make great starter homes to luxurious expansive homes with features like swimming pools, entertainment rooms, and large landscaped yards.
Schools in Rohnert Park
Rohnert Park is served by the Cotati-Rohnert Park School System, and has three unique high schools:
- Rancho Cotate High School
- Technology High School (charter school for students interested in technology)
- Credo High School (charter school in the Waldorf model)
The city is also home to Sonoma State University, the lone state university in the North Bay area.
Employment in Rohnert Park
Rohnert Park serves as an ideal bedroom community for those who work in San Francisco, or neighboring Santa Rosa and Petaluma. Within the city itself, the top employers include retail trade, construction, and manufacturing – particularly advanced manufacturing and food manufacturing. Sonoma State University is also a major employer, along with medical technology and life sciences companies.
Lifestyle in Rohnert Park
- Rohnert Park has plenty of family-friendly attractions and destinations, including mini-golf and indoor golf facilities, an indoor kart track, a skating center, and more.
- Residents are treated to musical and theater productions in several venues, including:
- The Green Music Center at Sonoma State University, which stages various performances, such as jazz, ballet, chamber music, and rock concerts
- The Spreckels’ Performing Arts Center – A city-owned facility that stages productions from around the world
- Somo Village – A 200-acre live-work-play community with a 3,000-seat solar-powered outdoor performance venue
- Located in the heart of California’s wine country, Rohnert Park is close to numerous wineries where you can sample the best wines in the region.
- Rohnert Park offers numerous opportunities for outdoor activities. These include golfing at the city’s own Foxtail Golf Club, as well as hiking, biking, and riding on the stunning trails of Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Preserve and Crane Creek Regional Park. Nearby Bodega Bay is the place to go for various water activities.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.